Thursday, July 2, 2009

First Class: Completing the Circle

Today I officially completed Bikram Teacher Training by teaching my first class. I was walking on air when it was over and couldn't stop thinking about when I was going to get the opportunity to teach again. I didn't anticipate many people in the class since it was the first 11 AM our studio added to its schedule. There were only 7 people in class, 3 of whom were teachers. This was fine because I really didn't see faces or bodies - my mind was focused on getting out the dialogue and that's all. The dialogue did come out, but a little too much of it came out: my class went over about 15 minutes. Yikes! I felt sorry for my students at the end, but was thankful they all worked so hard. I managed to keep most of my left and rights straight and only confused one posture with another (at the beginning and then I caught myself). Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how my first class went, but I know I still have a lot to learn. I look forward to the day I don't have to concentrate so hard on reciting the dialogue and not having to think about the right and left side. I also need to liven up Pranayama Breathing, too! Rosario gave me some wonderful feedback to take with me and I'm so grateful to have her as a mentor. I know that I will continue to learn from her for a long time.

The first class is now checked off the list and my circle is complete. When class was over and I quietly left the room, I couldn't help but let the tears flow freely. I became overwhelmed with relief that training was officially over. It was a long, arduous journey but I'm very glad to have taken it. Now it's time to focus on being the best teacher I can be. I hope to inspire students to love the yoga as much as I do. 90 minutes or 9 weeks: worth it. Definitely.

1 comment: